Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dear Briggz,

Our second stop along the Sabbatical route was to Lake Placid New York.
First things first… LUNCH. A Visit to Tail of The Pup BBQ was definitely
in order. We experience outdoor dive dining at its best. Harley Davidsons
were everywhere, an oversized Lobster statue, pool table, and live band.
Need I note that all the waitresses were all European college students on
loan to the good olí U.S. of A. A few Pulled pork sandwiches and we were
back on the road. 
Imagine being in a place that held not one but two Winter Olympic game,
1932 and 1980. We began our tour of the Olympic Center viewing the Hall of
Fame photos. All good and dandy but we all know the reason I wanted to be
there…. “Do you Believe in Miracles?!” We made our way through the complex
and noticed the Flags of the countries that competed in the games. We
noticed a lot of Ironman sings as well. Apparently the Lake Placid Ironman
competition is one of the longest standing Ironmanís in the Country.
Alas we found what I had been waiting for. A group of doors, above them
labeled Herb Brooks Arena… “HOME OF THE MIRACLE ON ICE”.
It was awesome. To be in the same building as the 1980 USA hockey team and
standing next to the same bench area.  Okay I need to clarify a point
here. I was never a hockey player and will never be able to dangle or even
ring the crossbar of the goal, But my enjoyment of hockey began as a
little boy spending numerous vacations in Toronto, watching either family
play or viewing the blades of steel on the TV with my grandfather. I have
no clue why but as they were routing for the Leafs, I was busy emulating
the great net minder, at least in my mind, Grant Fuer. As we strolled down
the steps to the ice surface I could not help but imagine the crown during
that memorable game. A game that pitted boys against men, amateur players
vs. professionals, and with all the odds against them….well, you don't
need me to tell you how it all ended. We finished with a trip to the Lake
Placid Olympic Museum. So many photos and memorabilia from both the í32
and í80 winter Olympiad. Several uniforms and jerseys were on display.
Olympic torches were hung on the walls, even the bullwhip the Herb Brooks
received as a Secret Santa gift was immortalized. All in all this was a
fantastic visit to a wonderful place. 
That's all for now Briggz. I will wright again soon.

Dad.















No comments:

Post a Comment